Saturday, December 5, 2009

Lawry's Substitute

Lawry's Seasoned Salt Substitute
(From tastebook.com)

I was making the Pioneer Woman's Macaroni and Cheese recipe and realized I didn't have any Lowry's, a staple in her mind. Thank goodness for the Internet and Penzey's. I had all the ingredients. P.S. This is the best Mac & Cheese recipe I've found.

This is an MSG-free recipe for Lawry’s Seasoned Salt. (5 min 5 min prep)
1 spice bottle
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cornstarch
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
Pour the blend into an empty spice bottle to store.

1 comment:

Rod said...

That looks better anyway. Although, I would be surprised if Lawry's still has MSG in it. Accent used to be 100% MSG. That's all it was and when I needed some MSG for a BBQ rub, it was what to use. Now, even Accent doesn't have any MSG.
I watched one of those Mythbuster types of shows on MSG and the end result is that MSG really does brighten certain flavors. Most of the headaches attributed to MSG in Chinese restaurants are not from MSG. It concluded it would be a shame not to be able to use it. It's just another version of salt with different properties.