Friday, February 8, 2008

Staples

  • Butter, Unsalted Butter: If you don't have copious amounts of unsalted butter in the refrigerator, your recipe is sure to call for it and the store will be selling it for 4-plus dollars per pound.
  • Buttermilk: Can be frozen and thawed to used in recipes. I put it in plastic bags with the measurement written with a Sharpie.
  • Orange Juice: I buy small 12 ounce bottles of Orange Juice. the expiration dates are usually 2-3 months out. This way I can use it or supplement a measuremnt needed when actually juicing an orange. The small bottles are perfect for a constant supply of juice.
  • Dried Fruits: Raisins, Cranberries, Apricots. Keep them around. I seal the bags or boxes in plastic bags to retain freshness.
  • Almonds: I keep lots of whole almonds. Target sells them at a good price in plastic jars. I then buy sliced almonds and other nuts and place them in the jars.
  • Rice: I love, love, love the Zatarains rice. It cooks up easily and stays separated (not sticky). I keep it in the recycled almond jars.

No comments: