Saturday, March 29, 2008

Quiche Me!

I'm updating the date on this. In February I noted that I was just starting to learn how to make Quiches. This recipe from the Whole Foods Cookbook is fabulous tasting and easy to make. In addition to the recipe link below, on the left I've created links for ordering the cookbook and one to the Whole Foods recipe library. I make this quiche for friends' events and every couple of weeks for my family.

Today was a banner day (the March post), my daughter actually told me she appreciates all the cooking I'm doing as she doesn't have the energy/creativity for dinners. I understand this, as she was growing up, I didn't have the flexibility/latitude either. Now that she's grown, I can. It's nice to be able to have a receptive audience to my new hobby

Spinach and Pine Nut Quiche

1 frozen 9-inch ready-made whole wheat piecrust
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
6 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage or 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 large red potato, steamed until firm-tender, sliced 1/4-inch thick

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the piecrust from the freezer and thaw for ten minutes. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove the crust from the oven to cool.

Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add the garlic, spinach, salt, pepper and sage. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute, or until the spinach is just wilted. Stir in the pine nuts.
In a small bowl, mix the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. In another bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together.

Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture on the piecrust. Top with half the spinach mixture. Place the potato slices on top of the spinach. Add half the remaining cheese mixture and then the remaining spinach mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese.

Place the pie pan on a sheet pan. Carefully pour in the milk mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting.

I use this recipe as a baseline, especially the potato, when I have some extra vegegables to use up. The quiche is dense and works as an entree or as breakfast/brunch addition.

Sliced in eighths, there are approximately 180 calories per serving.

No comments: