Saturday, March 29, 2008

Molasses Sandwich Cookies

This is a wonderful site. These guys post the best looking and sounding recipes. I really wish they would adopt me. I have customers coming to the office this next week and wanted something to share with them during one of our breaks. Also - the grandson and the office boys are now asking for my treats. I thought I'd bring them a new one. I went so far as to buy the little cookie scoops. I encourage you to check the site to get the picture of these little gems that they posted. I'm brining their recipe over to share with you, but I won't borrow their pictures. They also have some really incredible cooking blog links. Go ahead, go there, but please come back.

I had a lot of frosting left following the recipe as written on the site. The reason may be that I used a 1-1/2 teaspoon scoop (while they called for 1 teaspoon and I only filled the scoop about 2/3 full of frosting (essentially 1 teaspoon). I made another batch of the cookies themselves and used the rest of the frosting.

Molasses Sandwich Cookies
(Adapted from Everyday Food)
(Adapted from Culinary in the Desert)

For the cookies:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown sugar
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (2 cubes)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup molasses

For the filling:
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons molasses
2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted

To make the cookies:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until combined. Beat in eggs, followed by molasses, until smooth and well incorporated. Add flour mixture and mix just until combined.
Using a 1-1/2 teaspoon (small) cookie scoop, drop the dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until the center of the cookies are dry to the touch, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and let sit on the baking sheets for about 1 to 2 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the filling

In a medium bowl, beat together butter and molasses until creamy. Add in confectioners' sugar and continue mixing until smooth and spreadable. Spread the filling, about a rounded teaspoonful, on the bottoms of half of the cookies. Place the remaining cookies on top.

Makes 45 sandwich cookies. The calories based on double the cookie recipe and the frosting recipe as it stands is 157 calories a "sandwich".

1 comment:

Gina said...

I am SO going to try this!