Sunday, May 4, 2008

Brussels Sprouts

From Vegetable Love!

1/2 lb brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
kosher salt to taste


Preheat oven to 500. Melt butter in the smallest pan avialable to contain the brussels sprouts in a single layer. (Note: I had a pound of b-spouts and used a 9x9 pan). When butter is melted add the brussels sprouts and roll around in pan to coat. Bake 7-15 minutes (stir at 7, check at 10 etc.). At 10 minutes they were slightly carmelized and crisp tender and I removed them from the oven. I let them sit in the stoneware pan for a few minutes to continue cooking a bit.

Let cool slightly or move to another pan (so you don't blow up your stoneware) and mix with the lemon juice and salt.

If you like cabbage you'll probably like these little guys. If you don't...read on and try something else.

This makes about 2 cups and I figured four servings at 50 calories a serving.

I'll have to think on what they could be paired up with. The filled the bill for me having something healthy to snack on while I cooked. Ideas are welcome!

No comments: