Sunday, May 4, 2008

Wine Pairings

Wine Pairings
I made some good wine pairings this last week. I don't know if they are "proper" or not yet, but they worked for me - in the style the food was described on the menu.

J. Llohr Chardonnay with Pad Thai - the Pad Thai was not the tomatoey version served in Utah - It was seafood and chicken and the lime and cilantro made it "light".
Covey Run Shiraz with excellent Chili Verde. The "peppers" of the two dishes danced around in my head. It was almost like having pop rocks.

I do not care for the Covey Run Huckleberry wine I purchased last week. I might consider it with some fresh goat cheese, but I think there are a lot of other options that would be classier. It was too sweet and might have been fine, but I didn't find the depth I was looking for.

Washington Ice Wines - I had a glass a few weeks ago at the Spokane airport with a fruit and cheese plate. The platter offered crip, paper thin sliced pears and apples, with red and green grapes, goat cheese, a sweetened cream cheese, sharp cheddar and smoked mozzerella. It was a fit for me with that dish. I can't say what else I'd pair it with at this point, but the fruits and cheeses offered made it a nice fit.

No comments: