Sunday, June 1, 2008

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

When my husband and I were dating, I made my spaghetti sauce for him. I was so proud of it, especially when he told me it was better than his mother's.

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

I understand his logic, but he'd be better of with picking another thing to say I was better at. Anything, but this.

I made it today and let it simmer in the crock pot. We had a good and memorable meal.

Mom's Spaghetti Sauce

Ingeredients:
2 28 oz cans Italian Canned Crushed Tomatoes
1-2 lbs Italian Sausage
1 lb ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (easy on the salt until you know what the tomatoes brought to the pot)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced onion flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 bay leaves

In duch oven, brown sausage links (cook them if uncooked), Drain fat and cut links into chunks (I use kitchen shears). Brown hamburger in olive oil. (Mom's recipe said to salt and pepper the hamburger - I prefer to wait until everything is in.). Drain hamburger. Return to pot, adding the sausage, tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil, oregano and bay leaves. Cook for several hours at very low heat, uncovered. If it gets too thick, cover the pot for awhile. Stirt to keep from sticking to bottom of the pot. (Or put it all in the crockpot and let it simmer without worry!)

No comments: