Saturday, April 12, 2008

Fettucine with Garlic, Parsley and Parmesan

Fettucine with Garlic, Parsley and Parmesan
From the Whole Foods Market Cookbook
(This recipe is not on their website)

1 pound fettuccine
1/4 cup olive oil - I was happy with about half if this. I used all of it to saute the garlic and only half for flavoring the noodles.
12 cloves of garlic (this recipe makes a huge amount of fettuccine. I would have been happy with even more garlic as I counted way more servings than the recipe does.)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup minced fresh parsley (I only had dried. Using less than 1/4 cup I sprinkled it sparingly as I reheated the noodles and added the cheese).
1 teaspoon lemon pepper. I made my own. Commercial brands would work too - but the one I had in my cupboard was old and contained salt).

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until the past is al dente, 6-8 minutes. (I used Barilla and followed the directions 12-13 minutes). When the pasta is cooked, rinse in cold water, drain well, and reserve. I cooked my pasta early in the day so I could concentrate on the chicken and dessert. After it was cooled and drainned, I "Pammed" the inside of a plastic bag and plopped it in.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large nonstick saute' pan (all the fettuchini needs to fit in this pan later). Add the garlic cloves and saute' them very gently, turning often for 4 minutes, until light golden brown and softened. Remove the garlic cloves from the pan, and reserve. When nearly ready to serve, add the drained pasta to the pan, and saute' over medium heat for 2 minutes, until warmed through. Add the browned garlic cloves, Parmsean cheese, parsley, and lemon pepper, and toss the pasta well to combine.

As a meal, grilled or sauted chicken or small chunks of smoked mozzarella can be added to the final toss.

The cookbook states 4 servings at 410 calories. I will get 10 servings out of this (as a side or light meal) at 198 calories. Add calories proportionately if using the suggestion of smoked mozzerella (yummy) or chicken.

I placed a small cloud of this on each plate, placing a serving of my Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Goat Cheese on top. The flavor combination was very complementary (and so was my guest-complimentary!)

No comments: