Saturday, January 24, 2009

Ballard Lox Quiche

I missed the Pacific NW today. And I've been craving protein all this week after some really fantastic yoga sessions. I made this up on my own. I hope you like it!

Crust:
Start with preparing my favorite pie crust recipe and add 1 tablespoon Penzey's Mural of Flavor before mixing. (My daughter says this makes it taste like pot pie crust.) Partially bake, cool.

Quiche:
1 cup cream and 1 cup skim milk or 2 cups half and half
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups mozzerella / parmesan cheese combination
8 oz of salmon baked at 375 degrees for about 8-12 minutes (almost done) and then tear into bite sized pieces.
12 can of diced, no salt tomatoes, drained in a seive (you'll only use about 2/3 of the can).
1 tablespoon capers
Penzey's dill weed
Green onion sliced in thin rings

Directions:

Beat eggs and mix in the cream/milk mixture.

In cooled pie crust sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese mixture on the bottom. Sprinkle 1/2 of the salmon bites around the bottom. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the tomato. Sprinkle about 1/2 of the capers and 1/2 of the green onions. Sprinkle the layer very lightly with dill.

Repeat layer with the exception of the dill.

Top with last 1/3 of cheese. Pour egg/milk mixture over into crust. Sprinkle lightly with dill.

Bake for 50-60 minutes in 350 degree oven until crust is lightly browned and center is just set. Let sit about 10 minutes before serving. Best if cooled, refrigerated, reheated and served later.

Serves 4-6.

Lox and bagels with a different bagel! Ballard locks without the locks :) And the significance is....I had my first lox and bagels at....you guessed it - The Ballard Locks in Seattle!

No comments: