Monday, January 26, 2009

Ground Nut Soup

African Ground Nut Soup

Above is the recipe I received and below is how I made it.

Ingredients:
1 onion, 3 carrots, chopped in food processor
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups of chicken broth (I used the turkey broth I made from el carcas)
1-1/2 cups rice (2 scoops in my rice cooker), cooked
1-2 teaspoon(s) cayenne (mine is old, start with a half if you're a spice chicken)
1-2 teaspoon(s) salt (I started with a teaspoon and rechecked after the peanut butter was added)
2 cups of chunky peanut butter

Directions:
Melt butter in dutch oven/stock pot, cook chopped carrots and onions until onions start to turn translucent. You don't want to cook them, just get them started in mellowing their flavor. Add rice, broth, cayenne, salt. Bring to simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes.

Wrestle peanut butter out of the jar into a medium bowl. When the soup has simmered its full time, scoop some into the bowl to start to melt the peanut butter.

Return all to stock pot and return to simmer. If more liquid is needed add water or additional stock. Heat in microwave before adding. Simmer 10 minutes.

Changes I think I'll make next time: Putting the cooked vegetables and rice and broth into the food processor before adding the peanut butter so the nuts are the only texture.

That said, this is very thick and good.


1 comment:

Sara said...

This sounds like a very interesting way to use peanut butter!